Law Office Of Robert A. Skovgaard

Call For Your Free Consultation: 203-883-4506

Photo of Robert A. Skovgaard

The Personalized Care And Attention Your Family Deserves

Photo of Robert A. Skovgaard

How to make coparenting after divorce more effective

On Behalf of | Apr 3, 2019 | Child Custody |

When parents in Connecticut get a divorce, they usually must remain connected in some way through their children. There will be times when both parents need to be present at important events in their children’s lives. When this happens, they should make an effort to get along.

Prioritizing the best interest of the child is how exes should handle other co-parenting situations as well. As long as the child is not in danger with the other parent, their relationship should be encouraged. Children should feel they can talk about their relationship with the other parent, but they should not be placed in the middle by being asked to carry messages back and forth between parents. Parents can use online tools to improve communication and keep physical calendars in their homes so that they and their children can see the schedule.

When children ask about the divorce, they should be reassured they did not cause it. The other parent should not be blamed although parents should try to be honest. If parents can keep consistent expectations between households, it will help the child adjust. Parents who are considering reconciliation should not bring it up until it is certain. If parents have new partners, they should not be introduced unless the relationship is serious. Stepparents should be prepared to support but not participate in parental decision-making.

There are a number of different approaches that parents can take to child custody after a divorce. The primary thing to keep in mind is that the custody and visitation plan should be designed with the needs of the children and not the parents in mind. In some cases, children may want input into the plan. Parents who need to make permanent changes to the custody and visitation plan may return to court to request a modification.