Law Office Of Robert A. Skovgaard

Call For Your Free Consultation: 203-883-4506

Photo of Robert A. Skovgaard

The Personalized Care And Attention Your Family Deserves

Photo of Robert A. Skovgaard

Child support enforcement services available in Connecticut

On Behalf of | Aug 15, 2014 | Child Support |

Figuring out the financial aspects of divorce can be a significant source of tension, especially if children are involved. Child support is not only an obligation, but a necessity, to ensure children have their most basic needs provided for. Unfortunately, some custodial parents in Connecticut may find they need assistance in enforcing a child support order due to lack of payment. August is Child Support Enforcement Month, and as such, it seems appropriate to discuss options available for both custodial and noncustodial parents who may be struggling with a child support order.

Custodial parents often depend on child support to make ends meet. As food, clothing, shelter and day care services keep increasing in price, it is difficult to cover all these expenses on a single-parent income. Sadly, many custodial parents are faced with this situation when noncustodial parents refuse to pay child support. If this happens, for whatever reason, enforcement services are available. A few options for enforcement in Connecticut include placing liens against property, reporting the debt to credit agencies and seizing bank accounts and/or tax refunds.

For noncustodial parents, the inability to pay a child support order due to financial hardship may warrant a modification of the support order. If the financial hardship is only temporary, it may be possible to negotiate directly with the custodial parent, though whatever is agreed to must be correctly reflected in official documents. However, if there is a permanent change in economic status, requesting a formal change to a support order may be the best solution.

When child support isn’t paid, it is the children who suffer the most. The state of Connecticut does offer services to help enforce a child support order without the need to head to court. If necessary, other legal options to enforce or modify a support order may also be utilized.

Source:, “Column: Children pay price of non-support”, Amy Searcy, Aug. 13, 2014