Law Office Of Robert A. Skovgaard

Call For Your Free Consultation: 203-883-4506

Photo of Robert A. Skovgaard

The Personalized Care And Attention Your Family Deserves

Photo of Robert A. Skovgaard
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Articles
  4.  » How do I modify or enforce my Connecticut Divorce Judgment?

How Do I Modify Or Enforce My Connecticut Divorce Judgment?

Photo of Robert A. Skovgaard

There are several reasons you may need to pursue enforcement or a modification of your Divorce Judgment.

You may still have to go back to court after a judge has signed off on your Divorce Judgment. Sometimes circumstances change making the terms of the judgment difficult or impractical to meet. On the other hand, perhaps the terms remain reasonable but your ex-spouse fails to comply with the order. In either of these scenarios, an attorney can assist you in pursuing a legal solution.

Modifying A Divorce Judgment

A change in circumstances may necessitate modifying one or more portions of your judgment. Examples of provisions frequently modified include:

  • Alimony
  • Child support
  • Child custody
  • Visitation
  • Parenting plans

Alimony and child support may be modified based on a substantial change in circumstances related to the income or financial needs of you, your ex-spouse or children. Examples include a change in employment, job loss or unexpected illness.

Be aware that a court must approve modifications to financial orders. Written agreements between you and your ex are not enforceable unless a court approves them.

A variety of factors may make the modification of child custody, visitation or parenting plans necessary. For instance, a child may have differing needs as they grow older or a parent’s work responsibilities may change. The modification must be found to be in the best interests of the child or children.

Enforcing A Divorce Judgment

You may be counting on the financial assistance of your ex-spouse in the form of alimony or child support payments. Therefore, when an ex-spouse fails to honor these obligations serious financial hardship may result. This is especially true when there are repeated failures to make payments.

An attorney can assist you in getting the money you are owed and in seeking appropriate repercussions for an ex-spouse who fails to comply with alimony or child support orders. Examples of measures that can be taken include wage executions, suspension of professional licenses, payment of attorney fees and jail.

It is important for all parents to spend quality time with their children, so when an ex-spouse fails to comply with custody or visitation agreements he or she must be held accountable. One parent may refuse to allow the other to spend time with the children as required by the court order, or the order may be unclear leading to a dispute between parents. Issues can also arise regarding each parent’s ability to make decisions about the children’s upbringing.

Consult With An Attorney

Robert Skovgaard has over 40 years of experience focused on family law. If you need to pursue the modification or enforcement of your Divorce Judgment he can provide advice tailored to your unique situation and advocate on your behalf in court proceedings.

Keywords: divorce, enforcement, modification, alimony, child support